Tuesday 16 January 2018

Vineet Bajpai says what it is like to be an author

When it comes to versatility in career, we come across names like Vineet Bajpai. The author has dipped himself in more than one career paths and has come out as a winner.


Vineet Bajpai has established his name as the Founder and Chairman of Magnon Group. He is also the CEO of Talentrack. His venture as an entrepreneur has earned him the title of 'Entrepreneur of the Year 2016'. He is a professor of strategic e-business and management information systems at Skyline Business School. And not to forget his four already-published books that he has to his name:
  • Build from Scratch: Steps, Strategies and Practical Insight into Building a Successful Start-up Enterprise (2004)
  •  The Street to the Highway (2011)
  • The 30-Something CEO (2016)
  • Harappa – Curse of the Blood River (2017)
The Delhi-based author whose upcoming book PRALAY – The Great Deluge’ is ready to be in the hands of the readers on January 19th, talked about his life as an author.

Excerpts from the interview

  • After writing 3 books for corporate and entrepreneurs, why did you change the course of your writing? Why this particular genre of historical fiction?
As I see it, I wrote business books because over my entrepreneurial and corporate journey I truly felt I had learnt things I must share with readers, entrepreneurs, start-ups and the corporate community around the world. And, I am glad I did. But just as I wrote management books to share my experience in the industry and help my readers build better companies and careers, I also felt a strong urge to express the creative storyteller in me. I wanted to write about India’s ancient mysteries, our rich heritage, our way of life, our profound myths, epics and more. Therefore, ‘Harappa’ had to be my first fiction project. 



But the writing of a business, management or inspirational book is a completely different ballgame than writing a fiction novel. Being a management ‘guru’ so to speak, is a very different role from that of being a storyteller. It was during the writing of 'Harappa' that I realized the intensity of a storyteller.

‘Harappa’ made me comprehend the amount of emotional connection that is needed between a fiction writer and his work. It's like a storyteller has an umbilical cord connected to his work. We can’t say that writing a business or management book takes no emotional energy, which of course it does. But it's different with writing fiction.

When a storyteller believes and deeply feels his/her own story, its characters and their emotions, he/she feels an unparalleled level of contentment within his/her own self. With ‘Harappa’ I have felt it and I am sure readers will find the book very gripping and very forceful.

  • What amount of research work and time did you invest in perfectly creating your novel ‘Harappa - Curse of the Blood River’ that is based on mythology and history?
Harappa is a book that takes you on a journey spanning 3,700 years, right from 1700 BCE Indus Valley to modern-day Delhi and Paris. And that needed immense research and clarity. The book spins a tale that revolves around some of the most debated, unanswered and haunting questions of the Indus Valley Civilization.

Yes, the research was long and arduous. I spent several months deep-diving into the Internet, Wikipedia, books and papers about the life and society of Harappa and its neighbouring settlements like Mohenjo-daro and Rakhigarhi. But it was also most gratifying. It took me about two years to complete Harappa. Having said that, I have made it a point to add a disclaimer at the beginning of the novel where I have made no claim to the correctness or veracity of historical facts, events etc. To put it simply, I am a storyteller, not a historian. 

  • You are a business leader, professor and author. Which role do you relish the most and why?
Since you have asked I must say that my roles as a corporate CEO combined with being a start-up entrepreneur as well as a writer are extensions of the various facets of my personality. I love doing all of these equally and it is very hard to say which one of these I like doing more. I think I would feel empty if any of these high-passion careers was missing from my life. In that sense I am truly blessed.

  •  Do you think, writing a fiction based on Indian history and mythology might create another social and political upheaval like Padmavati? Share your outlook about the same.
What creates upheavals in the first place is the media asking such questions! (Laughs). 
No, I don’t think there is any such probability. ‘Harappa’ has been written with a deep sense of affection and respect for all faiths and beliefs, as well as with a strong patriotic fabric. Moreover, while the backdrop is historical and mythological, all the characters are absolutely fresh and new. Lastly, the novel also has a parallel modern-day story, which runs like a contemporary thriller.

  •  How is life before and after being an author? How has being an author changed the course of your life?
I have been an author since the age of 24. My first book, 'Build From Scratch' was released back then. So, I have been an author for over one and a half decades now. Quite frankly I don’t remember what it was like not being one! But yes, I have to confess that the love and popularity I have won after 'Harappa' is unparalleled. Thousands of readers are sending me emails, Facebook messages, tweets and reviews. It has been one of the most gratifying phase of my life.

  • If you are asked to experiment with your writing, which will be the genre you would like to experiment with?
Romance/Relationships and Science Fiction are very dear to me. You will hopefully see books from me in these genres soon.

  • Any upcoming books on your cards?
Yes, of course. We are speaking at a very opportune time, Madhurima. Only a few days from now, on the 19th of January, the much-awaited sequel to ‘Harappa’, ‘PRALAY – The Great Deluge’ is going to be launched. I sincerely hope they enjoy it as much as they loved Harappa. I want them to see the key characters like Vidyut, Dwarka Shastri, Damini, Naina, Manu, the Maschera Bianca and Vivasvan Pujari become deeper, more profound, more complex personalities. I cannot wait to see the reactions of my affectionate readers when they see new and intense characters being introduced in Pralay.  



  •   What’s your message for your readers and budding authors?
To my readers I would only express boundless gratitude for the love they have showered me with. I also want them to know that it will be my sincere and constant endeavor to only better my writing and offer them stories and books they would love and remember.
To budding authors, I will say – writing and building a loyal readership is a long-drawn, high-effort process. It takes years to become a known and admired author. So, keep writing and be ready to give it everything you have. Rome was not built in a day. Nor was JK Rowling.

2 comments:

A Chat with Andaleeb Wajid

Few meetings happen on the spur of the moment and become quite dear. One such cherished moment was meeting Andaleeb Wajid at the launch ...